Saturday 21 July 2007

Prawn Stir Fry

I went shopping today and I was wondering what I could buy that would help me use up the prawns and pasta I have because I'm beginning to get a little bored of both prawns and pasta. None of the regular pasta sauces were discounted, so I went to the section with stir fry sauces, but they're all horrendously expensive too. So I thought about all the lovely spices I have on my shelves and wondered what to do with them. I ended up buying lemon juice (65p) and pineapple slices in a tin with pineapple juice (28p). I then came home and concocted one of the best stir fries I've ever had without breaking the bank. So without further ado here is the recipe:

Prawn Stir Fry

Ingredients:

1 onion (chopped)
2 handfuls pine nuts
1 handful dried cranberries
1 small tin pineapple slices/chunks in juice
2 or 3 tbsps lemon juice
1/2 inch cube of solid coconut
3/4 big handfuls of pasta shells
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked peppercorns
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
prawns
oil
water
  1. Boil a pan of water.
  2. Chop onions.
  3. Put oil and spices (excluding salt) in a frying pan and add to heat. After a minute or two add onions.
  4. Add salt and pasta to boiling water.
  5. Stir the onions as they fry for a few minutes.
  6. Onions
  7. Add the pine nuts and cranberries, continue to stir.
  8. After a short time add the coconut and half the tin of juice and half the pineapple and the lemon juice. Continue to stir.
  9. Once the pasta is cooked drain off the water and remove from heat.
  10. Add the prawns to the frying pan and stir for a few minutes.
  11. Stir Fry
  12. Finally stir in the pasta and then serve.

Tea!
Serves 2 hungry people.

**note**
I think the pineapple chunks would work better if they were somewhat smaller than I chopped them.

No comments: